Google+ The Art of Friendly Plastic: Answering viewers questions in Friendly Plastic

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Answering viewers questions in Friendly Plastic

Happily, the video's have created LOTS of buzz in the Friendly Plastic world!!! And lots of questions too!

These are some questions from the yahoo group, that I thought I would share and give you the answers....

Roy asked:

my ex tried Acrylic paint, had problems. She used (and i still have it) Crafter's acrylic "hunter green" paint from DecoArt. My ex-wife tried to color pellets. Pellets did not absorb the color well and end up looking orangey-yellow than green. I do not know what my ex-wife did, probably will try again, using your technique.

Is that purple color the Alcohol Ink? (sorry I am deaf can't hear video anyway). I am going to guess this ink is the stuff you use for rubber stamping (my wife is hard core rubber stamper)?

If so, is called Dye Ink, I know dye ink stuff is only kind that contain alcohol.But out of curiosity, Did the alcohol ink make the pellets (cooled) maintain transparency?Ah probably need to buy some ink (this rubber stamping stuff, ex has the whole thing) and experiment on them.

Hello Roy,

I hope you have fun experimenting!!! Im not sure of the exact technique that your wife used. After your question, I made a batch of green using Folk Art and Apple Barrel acrylic paint (very inexpensive here in the states). One batch I used two drops of paint and the other I used quite a bit of paint (enough to make my hands messy) I worked the paint into the melted pellets. The results are the same as I showed in the show. Obviously varying the amount of paint (it doesn't take much) will give you different variations of color (lighter and darker). You may not be able to work all the paint in that you've applied before the plastic gets stiff again, just place it back on the mat and let it re-soften and continue to work the paint into the plastic.

To answer your question about the alcohol inks - there are two brands that I use. Adirondak by Ranger Ink and Pinata by Jacquard. These are not inks on a stamping pad, they come in a little bottle. Since they are alcohol based, they evaporate rather quickly. You will get different effect depending on how much you use and how much you mix it in as shown on the video. If you stretch the plastic thin enough, it does maintain more of a transparent look than that of the paint. It is not completely transparent though.

I should mention that the pellets are clear when hot, but return to their milky white color when cooled - so marbleing effects are possible too.

All I can say is.... PLAY! and have fun! Thanks for your questions!

Joanne wrote:

You used a baking mat (which I have but don't really want to cutup) but was wondering if aluminium foil could be used in the sameway ?

I love the pellets but don't think they are available over here. Can they be heated up in any other way than the way you showed on the video ?

Hello Joanne!


I did not try this method on the aluminum foil, but I know that Liz Welch uses foil and has great success with it. Im "thinking" that this would be an alternative. You may want to put a drop or two of mineral or baby oil onto the foil to prevent sticking.

Also, Liz Welch recommended the "heat buddy craft tool" as it does not blow out air. Click on the link above. It sells in the UK for around 20 pounds. I believe this looks to be the same as the Heat tool sold in the US.

Baking mats that I've cut up are the silicone cookie mats that you can buy at Kitchen supply stores. This was a great tip courtesy of Jana Ewy. We bought ours at Bed Bath and Beyond.
They are rather expensive I think, but so worth the money.

Hope this helps and thank you for your questions too!

I've heard a couple of folks say, that they are a little nervous to work with the pellets or Friendly Plastic. Here's my thought.... Not everything we as professionals do turns out all well the time...in fact there are times when I can create some horribly ugly pieces because techniques or things I thought would work didn't. It's all a learning process. We were all new to this too at some point and believe me, I made things that I look back at now and wonder how I ever made or sold any of it! The only thing different between Jana and I and those of you who are beginners is we've just had more practice that's all. You have to start somewhere - right?

The key is to just TRY and experiment and dont fret over making mistakes or something ugly...because most of the time, you'll find some very happy mistakes along the way. You have to get out of your creative comfort zone if you are ever going to progress. What have you got to lose??

1 comment:

plumbing said...

This is really educational. Students should read this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails