Google+ The Art of Friendly Plastic: Friendly Plastic Question - Care For Cutters

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Friendly Plastic Question - Care For Cutters

Mylene Hillam from Milllanestudio.com poses this question:

Do any of you have tips for caring for your cutters? I've begun to build up quite a collection of shapes and sizes - all from different companies. But I've noticed that some of them rust when left in water/oil for a couple of hours so I guess they're made of tin. I gave them a good clean with dishwashing detergent which cleaned off both the rust and the oiliness and then I dried them in a slow oven to get rid of all the moisture but how do I prevent them rusting in such a short time when I'm demoing?Any suggestions most welcome!

I have also found this to be the case. To prevent this, after drying, I apply a light coat of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to the cutters. This seems to help.

If your cutters have already experienced some rusting or discoloration, remove this by buffing them with steel wool. This usually restores them back to a shine and makes them presentable for photography.....

Do you have a tip you would like to share on this subject? Please post them to the comment section!

1 comment:

Mylene said...

Thanks for the Vaseline tip Linda - I'll give that a try.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails