Google+ The Art of Friendly Plastic: Marilyn Cooper and her creative journey in Friendly Plastic

Friday, July 17, 2009

Marilyn Cooper and her creative journey in Friendly Plastic

Congratulations to Marilyn! I just had to go check out her blog to get an insight to this creative mind! What I found was delightful! She says.....you can't do Everything at once...but you can do SOMETHING at once! And she did....she created the pieces she entered in the challenge. Marilyn is new to Friendly Plastic....oh like all of us, we had our FP pieces way back when, but she had only dabbled in this medium for a couple weeks before she took the challenge plunge! This proves that you CAN do it ....if you do something at once!
Here's Marilyn story as she tells it:
(Hopefully) You know how it goes. You clean up your house really, really good because you are having company. And in those moments right before the company arrives, I look around and feel contentment. Everything is in its place, all the surfaces have been cleaned, good dinner smells float out from the kitchen… and I think, “Now that I’ve gotten it this far, I’m going to make the effort to keep up with it, so it’s not such a big deal to clean the next time.” Seriously, I tell myself that every single time. But it never happens.
*
Why does it never happen? Well, above and beyond the fact that I’m lazy that way, the main reason it doesn’t happen is because: there’s always a “day after”.
*
The day after the company has been here, my biggest housekeeping project is probably to unload and reload the dishwasher. A job that takes 10 minutes, but that I can put off for hours, or pawn off on Hubby, or sometimes even ignore completely. There are more important things to do on the “day after”.
*
Like being creative.
*
And today, I feel certain in announcing, is a creative day. A day to consider the possibilities of the various (neatly stored) creative supplies and choose something to try.
*
My latest gotta-try-it medium has been Friendly Plastic. Oh so 80’s, yes. We all had earrings back then, made from Friendly Plastic. And they now live in vast communities at the local Goodwill jewelry counter. But I am discovering that it’s still a lot of fun to work with, and (low and behold) you can make stuff OTHER than earrings with it.
*
I’m still trying to find my calling with FP. Not sure if I have one, or not. Cuz it sort’uv seems like it’s still a jewelry thing, just packaged in a more hip and updated manner. Indeed, there are some beautiful things out there. This is one of my very favorite FP presentations:
*
Me… I’m not that far yet. But I’m having fun playing with Friendly Plastic and seeing what I can do. And trying to think if I can come up with something “unique and incredible” for this fun medium that maybe is not jewelry. Or, if it is jewelry, maybe it's a way that no one has done before. But as I think, I continue to fool around with the FP, and I’m learning a lot as I go.
*
In fact, I recently entered a FP challenge. The criteria was to make at least 3 pendants, and you were to use a marbling technique. I’ve only been dinking with FP for a couple weeks, but I figured “why not?” Entering the challenge would give me a deadline, as well as reason to spend time experimenting.
*
I thought that the way the challenge was written, the presentation of the pendants was almost as important as the pendants themselves. The mounting, the bail, etc. I thought they were indicating that they wanted to see some outside-the-box thinking for those things. Which made sense to me because melting the FP and marbling it is really a “nothing” process. So the presentation of the pendant would be what took the ordinary to extraordinary.
*
But now that the deadline has passed for turning in the pictures, I’m not so sure I was reading the challenge wording correctly. Hmm. Oh well. I had a great time anyway. I do not expect to win the challenge. I just expected to make a good showing, and I do feel that I accomplished that.
*
*
*
Below: My series of pendants, 4 total.


*
*
*
Below: "All That Glitters". I used a drapery grommet and cording and dangle-y "jewels", all from the fabric department of Hobby Lobby. And a vintage earring for the final touch.

*
*
*
Below: "Love Is The Key". I used a bookplate from the scrapbooking section of Michael's, and attached charms.

*
*
*
Below: "Ode To Waimanalo, Hawaii". I marbled FP in a way that I hoped looked like you were moving from the deeper, darker ocean waters, up to the shore. The pendant is mounted on cork. A teeny seashell was glued into a opening. And the bail is a starfish that really does have a loop on the back for a necklace to go through.


*
*
*
Below: "Resplendent". This was all about the colors. The FP was then attached to a clear acrylic square (scrapbook section of Michael's) and a clip was used to create the bail. I wired on a sparkle-y jewel thingie to the front of the clip. I love the way this turned out.


*
*
*
So, I'm thinking today will be another Friendly Plastic day. Dishwasher? What dishwasher? Maybe Hubby will unload the dishwasher when he gets home from work!



I really enjoyed these seeing these pendants so up close and personal. Your idea of attaching a clip for the bail was sooooo creative and out of the box! I love it!

Marilyn is multi talented and you can check out more of her work here!

What do YOU have that you can share with us??? Send me your links and I'll feature you. Tomorrow we will be taking a virtual tour to France to see more work from another amazing FP artist.........

Who wants to be highlighted on Sunday???????


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails